Office of the Director
The Director is OSMRE’s chief executive. The Director provides the leadership and direction of OSMRE activities within the limits delegated under Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act. The Director’s primary objectives are to aggressively pursue the reclamation of abandoned mine lands and to prevent environmental problems in the coalfields by working with state agencies. OSMRE makes every effort to obtain full public involvement in the design and development of agency policy.
OSMRE continues outreach efforts that promote public participation in policymaking. Such participation includes public meetings on proposed rulemaking, and conferences, that promote discussion and exchange of information on the state of the coal industry and OSMRE’s evolving role. OSMRE continues to take steps to contact states, tribes, citizens, and industry and encourage their participation in the policymaking process.
In addition to guiding policy decisions, the Director provides direct supervision to the following offices: Office of Equal Opportunity, Office of Communications, Office of Planning, Analysis and Budget, and the Office of the Chief Information Officer.
Finance and Administration - Ted Woronka
Finance and Administration includes the administrative functions necessary to support the program activities of OSMRE. The specific functions are included in four organizational areas: Administration, Human Resources, Administrative Financial Management, and Information Technology.
This function is responsible for managing OSMRE's financial and administrative activities. It has primary responsibility for implementing the requirements covering the following five Presidential Management Agenda scorecards: improved financial management, competitive sourcing, management of human capital, transportation and energy management, and real property. In addition, it is responsible for reporting output costs as part of OSMRE's Activity Based Costing initiative. This is also a requirement under the budget and performance integration scorecard. This sub activity provides the policy and direction for information technology (IT) program planning, investment, and portfolio management, information technology security, and enterprise architecture.
Program Support - Sterling Rideout
- Division of Reclamation Support - Vacant
- Division of Regulatory Support - Steve Sheffield, Acting
- Division of Technical Training - Ann Walker
(Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia)
- AR Organizational Structure
- Technical Support Division - Lois Uranowski
- Charleston Field Office - Roger Calhoun
- Knoxville Field Office - Earl Bandy, Jr.
- Lexington Field Office - Robert Evans (Acting)
- Federal Reclamation Program Division - Rick Balogh (Acting)
- Ashland Area Office
- Wilkes-Barre Area Office
- Pittsburgh Field Division - Ben Owens
- Applicant Violator System Office - Debbie J. Feheley
(Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas)
- MCR Organizational Structure
- Alton Field Division - Len Meier
- Indianapolis Area Office - Len Meier
- Program Support Division - William Joseph
- Birmingham Field Office - Sherry Wilson
- Tulsa Field Office - Vacant
(Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Crow Tribe, Hopi Tribe, Idaho, Montana, Navajo Nation, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, Washington, Wyoming)
- WR Organizational Structure
- Technology Management Division - Michele Christmann Acting
- Program Services Branch - Patrick Dege Acting
- Denver Field Division - Jeffrey W. Fleischman