Office for Equal Opportunity
Carolyn Mackey-Bryant, Director
This Office is responsible for promoting equal employment opportunities for all OSMRE employees. The Office:
- Provides for the prompt, fair and impartial processing of complaints of discrimination;
- Provides technical assistance and advice to employees and managers on all EO issues;
- Communicates the bureau's equal employment opportunity policy and program and its employment needs to all sources of job candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or handicap;
- Ensures that a reasonable accommodation program is in place and is implemented in a fair and timely manner. The DOI Reasonable Accommodation Policy link is http://www.doi.gov/pmb/eeo/upload/DM-Chapter-on-Reasonable-Accommodation-Sep-05.pdf.
- Ensures that an alternative dispute resolution program is available for both the pre-complaint process and the formal complaint process;
- Ensures that a bureau-wide affirmative employment and EEOC-MD-715-01 Report objectives are developed and implemented; and
- Maintains a Civil Rights Compliance program for federally assisted and conducted programs.
In addition, the office is responsible for Special Emphasis programs and assists the bureau in creating a model equal employment program which ensures that all OSMRE employees and applicants for employment have equal access. It is responsible for implementing initiatives in response to Executive Orders of the President, which provides for agencies to work more closely with Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions and Tribal Colleges and Universities in an effort to enhance opportunities for minority higher education institutions to participate and benefit from programs related to surface coal mining and reclamation activities. As an example of outreach to minority higher education institutions, OSMRE has formed the Minority Higher Education Program. The focus of the program will be to lay the foundation for long term relationships with minority higher education institutions that were identified as having degree programs in OSMRE's mission related interest. Also, the office assists the bureau in the implementation of the Department's "Strategic Plan for Achieving and Maintaining A Highly Skilled And Diverse Workforce."