2012 Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Award Winners
The Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Awards are presented to coal mining companies that achieve the most exemplary mining and reclamation in the country.
The National Awards are presented to coal mining companies for achieving exemplary mining and reclamation practices. A coal mining operation may be nominated for achievement in a specific aspect of reclamation, or for overall performance in meeting goals of the Surface Mining Law.
Good Neighbor Award Winner Antelope, Cordero Rojo, and Spring Creek Mines - Cloud Peak Energy holding a school group tour to promote understanding of the mining and reclamation process.
National Award Winner North Antelope Rochelle Mine - Golden eagle chick sits in a nest near the rail line serving North Antelope.
The Good Neighbor Awards are presented to coal companies that successfully work with the surrounding land owners and the community while completing mining and reclamation.
The winners of the 2012 Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Awards
Click each winner for more information.
Read the OSMRE Press Release about the 2012 Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Awards.
- National Award: Cottage Grove Mine, Peabody Energy, Equality, Illinois
- National Award: Dave Johnston Mine, Glenrock Coal Company, Glenrock, Wyoming
- National Award: North Antelope Rochelle Mine, Peabody Powder River Mining, LLC, Wright, Wyoming
- Good Neighbor Award: Alcoa Sandow Mine, Alcoa, Inc., Rockdale, Texas
- Good Neighbor Award: Antelope, Cordero Rojo, and Spring Creek Mines, Cloud Peak Energy Resources LLC, Gillette, Wyoming
OSMRE Director Joe Pizarchik provided the keynote address and presented the awards on September 24th in Des Moines, IA, as part of the National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs conference, September 23-26.