OFFICE OF SURFACE MINING RECLAMATION AND ENFORCEMENT
laws, regulations, and guidance
Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), P.L. 95-87, Enacted August 3, 1977
- "An Act to provide for the cooperation between the Secretary of the Interior and the States with respect to the regulation of surface coal mining operations, and the acquisition and reclamation of abandoned mines, and for other purposes." So begins the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977, the law that established the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE).
- Compilation of the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977, as amended (pdf). This link contains an unofficial compilation of all revisions to SMCRA through July 6, 2012. The file is word searchable.
- Users of this compilation should be aware that there are slight variations between the enacted version and the version codified in the U.S. Code; when citing SMCRA, the U.S. Code is the only official source. Click here to link to SMCRA in the U.S. Code (Title 30, Chapter 25). Click here to view the document as a pdf.
- Latest Amendment: Public Law 112-141, as enacted on July 6, 2012, includes the following change to section 411(h)of SMCRA: "(5) Limitation on annual payments. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subsection, the total annual payment to a certified State or Indian tribe under this subsection shall be not more than $15,000,000."
Code of Federal Regulations
Federal Register Documents
- Federal Register Final Index with Proposed Rule Cites - This Index covers Federal Register documents published beginning with the first surface mining documents published in August 1977 through June 30, 2010. The list contains Federal Register cites of Final Rules and incorporates corresponding Proposed Rule cites published in the Federal Register, as well as significant Notices of Inquiry, Petitions to Initiate Rulemaking, Suspension or Reinstatement of Rules resulting from court decisions, etc.
NOTE: We are still adding these documents to our website. If you are interested in a document that is not yet listed, contact Debbie McGinnis, OSM Librarian at DMcGinnis@osmre.gov or by telephone 303-293–5073.
Policy and Guidance Documents
State, Tribal, and OSM Abandoned Mine Lands and Regulatory Programs Contacts
COALEX Research Reports