Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) offices in the bureaus/offices of the Department of the Interior are continuing to process FOIA requests to the best of their ability during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To keep employees healthy and safe, the Department is maximizing telework flexibility and employing social distancing protocols. As a result of these precautions, most employees are working remotely and unable to collect hard copy records located in government facilities at this time. If your request is for hard copy records, the response to your request will very likely be delayed.
In addition, employees may not receive FOIA requests that are sent by U.S. mail, overnight mail services, or facsimile in a timely manner. We recommend, therefore, that requesters submit requests through the government-wide portal at https://www.foia.gov.
OSMRE Freedom of Information Act Program
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552, reflects our nation's fundamental commitment to open government. FOIA is a federal law that gives the public the right to make requests for federal agency records unless the agency reasonably foresees that the release of the information in those records would harm an interest protected by one or more of the nine exemptions (reasons an agency may withhold records from a requester) or release is prohibited by law.
For more information about the FOIA, please contact:
Julie Moore, Bureau FOIA Officer (Acting)
Regions 1 & 2
3 Parkway Center
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Submitting a FOIA Request
If the information you are seeking is not publicly available, you can file a FOIA request in the following ways:
- Electronic FOIA requests can be submitted through FOIAonline at https://www.foiaonline.gov.
- You may file a request with the Office of Inspector General at https://www.doioig.gov/complaints/FOIA/how-to-submit-a-foia-request or through the government-wide portal at https://www.foia.gov.
- Requests can also be submitted via physical mail or facsimile to the bureau/office FOIA Contacts at https://www.doi.gov/foia/contacts.
- Additional guidance is available at the DOI FOIA Program page: https://www.doi.gov/foia.
- DOI FOIA Electronic Reading Room
- DOI FOIA Annual Reports to Congress
- Final Opinions
- OSMRE FOIA Directive
Regional Coordinator Contacts
|Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia||412-937-2815;
|Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas||618-463-6463 x5124;
|C. Lynn Sudduth
|Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Utah, Washington, Indian Lands, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Northern Cheyenne Tribe, Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, Crow Tribe, Hopi Tribe, Navajo Nation, and Ute Tribe||303-293-5076;