AMDTreat (Pronounced: am'-D-treat or A-M-D-treat.) is a computer application for estimating abatement costs for pollutional mine drainage, commonly referred to as Acid Mine Drainage (AMD). AMD is a long-term water pollution impact of mining in the coal fields of Appalachia and other areas of coal and metal mining.
The current version of AMDTreat is 5.0.2 Plus.
AMDTreat was developed cooperatively by OSMRE, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), and the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP).
The software application is a member of OSMRE's Technical Innovation and Professional Services (TIPS) suite of software. Learn more about the software in the TIPS' Data Sheet for AMDTreat.
AMDTreat+PHREEQ can assist a user in estimating costs and sizing facilities to abate water pollution, using passive or chemical treatment technologies. Treatment systems, vertical flow ponds, anoxic limestone drains, anaerobic wetlands, bioreactors, caustic soda, hydrated lime, pebble quicklime, soda ash treatment and other systems can be evaluated.
The software provides over 400 user modifiable variables for excavation, construction, revegetation, piping, road construction, land acquisition, system maintenance, labor, water sampling, design, surveying, pumping, sludge removal, chemical consumption, and other functions. The default cost data can be modified to adjust for inflation or site specific requirements.
AMDTreat also contains several financial and scientific tools to help select and plan treatment systems. These tools include a long-term financial forecasting module, an acidity calculator, a sulfate reduction calculator, a Langelier saturation index calculator, a mass-balance calculator, and iron oxidation tools.
- Comprehensive suite of solutions for estimating the size and cost of treatment systems
- Financial Forecasting tools to aid in calculating and evaluating long-term treatment costs
- Solutions available for various treatment scenarios including:
- Limestone-based Passive Systems, Alkaline Neutralization Active Treatment Systems, and Oxidation Active Treatment Systems - Provides the ability to compare different treatment systems
- Perform forward cost modeling (treatment system needs constructed)
- Performs reverse cost modeling (treatment system is constructed
Prior to requesting direct support:
- Ensure you are using the most up-to-date version prior
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Uninstall and reinstall AMDTreat (should you have minor issues)
You can report bugs, make suggestions or obtain support for AMDTreat by contacting: